Sales prospecting is a high priority for most companies and how they go about it varies. Some companies may require their quota carrying sales reps to make cold calls and do their own prospecting. Others may use an inside sales team or an outsourced call center that specializes in lead generation for new business opportunities.
Sales prospecting is hard work and takes a lot of time and effort to identify and reach potential prospects. Gatekeepers and voicemail make it difficult and time consuming to reach decision makers.
Your sales reps are among your highest value assets. It doesn’t make sense to have them lose valuable time chasing “suspects” when they could focus on what they do best … working active sales accounts and closing business.
Sales reps hate cold calling because:
- They don’t like doing it and may not be good at it.
- It’s not sustainable. If they become successful at prospecting they become too busy working their pipeline to prospect and eventually the well runs dry again.
- It’s hard for them to reach people because of voice mail or gatekeepers. Their time is better spent closing sales.
- They prefer to close sales and work with existing customers.
- It’s time consuming and they don’t have enough time.
- It’s not rewarding.
So what other options does your company have for generating new customers to achieve your sales objectives?
By using other resources to take over prospecting and cold calling you can free your sales people to focus on the highest value activities of relationship building and closing sales.
One option is to specialize your sales resources into the functions of new business development (qualifiers) and sales reps (closers). The qualification team of Business Development Specialists (BDS) should focus on one thing and one thing only … generating qualified leads.
The qualification team should specialize in identifying and reaching decision makers, qualifying, nurturing and then converting them into appointments for their sales reps. The team could be outsourced or managed in-house for calling cold or warm prospects to generate the prequalified leads your sales reps need.
Business Development Specialists (BDS) are experts in prospecting into cold and inactive companies to source new, incremental sales opportunities and passing them to your salespeople. A BDS is also very effective at qualifying inbound marketing leads coming from internet and email form submissions, direct marketing responses or phone inquiries.
There are many advantages for outsourcing your sales prospecting and lead generation activities to a professional B2B telemarketing company or call center.
Advantages of Outsourcing Sales Prospecting and Lead Generation:
- Allows your team to focus on your core competency
- Increases direct selling time for your quota carrying reps
- Lowers your cost per sale
- Speed to market
- Removes inside sales recruitment, staffing, management and administrative headaches and expenses
- Eliminates the need for ongoing inside sales technology upgrades
- Reduces the time-consuming indirect selling activities of your sales reps
- Allows your sales team to focus on closing sales
In summary, cold calling is probably the least favorite step in the sales process for most sales reps. They prefer to close deals, not spend valuable time chasing suspects and prospects who simply are not interested or unable to make a purchase.
Implementing a Business Development function to prospect for new clients ensures a predictable, sustainable supply of qualified leads for your field sales team.
A professional B2B telemarketing company/call center is an extremely effective tool for:
- Identifying new business opportunities
- Upgrading client services
- Cross selling
- Event marketing solutions
- Announcing new products and promotions
- Strengthening customer relationships
Let your sales reps focus on what they do best, work active sales pipelines and close business.